Thursday, November 12, 2009

Welcome to Bird Nerd! Training, Pet-Sitting, Grooming and Consulting for exotic and domestic pets...







This job is for the birds
(and MORE)!!

My name is Marianne Morrison and I have been working with exotic and domestic animals for over seven years. In Spring 2009, I decided to go independent and create my own business using the skills I have as a Zookeeper, animal trainer, enrichment coordinator, and mother. I began my career working at the Philadelphia Zoo as an educator and moved up from there. Shortly after my work began there in 2002, it was apparent that I had a knack for species behavior and training. After completing several academic courses in training and animal care, I was promoted to Training and Enrichment Coordinator of my department, where I worked with over 180 species of birds and mammals. The list included owls, hawks, macaws, parrots, porcupines, kinkajous, ferrets, pigs, cows and goats! In 2006, I was hired as a Zookeeper in the bird department, where I worked with storks, eagles, condors, ibises, hornbills, and many more. Earlier this year, I decided to make the move and start offering my services to the public. Specializing in birds is a very specific field and takes a lot of patience and skill. I hope you find the list of services helpful to your needs. If you do not see exactly what you are looking for, please feel free to contact me. More than likely, I can help!


ALL PETS
Sitting-
Going away on vacation? Don't want to leave your pet with an unexperienced party? I provide in your home pet-sitting service for any type of pets, including birds, livestock, dogs, cats, reptiles, etc. This service included daily outings and exercise, one on one interaction, feeding, medication, grooming, cleaning and more. Rates begin at $15 per day.


...JUST BIRDS

Grooming-
Nail trims, beak trims and wing trims are services most veterinarians offer at high prices with little concern for the feelings of your beloved pet. My approach is that of a positive nature and with compassion. I offer these services in your home for all parrots, poultry and raptors, crows, etc. starting at $25 and ranging to $60, depending on species and size of your pet.

Consulting-
Owning a bird is one thing, but caring for it is a whole other animal. Bird owners are as unique as their situation! I offer help with proper care, nutrition, cleaning, housing, enrichment and training. No question will go unanswered! This service is $30 per hour in your home with your pet present.

Training-
Want to teach your bird how to fly back to you, speak or perform other fun tricks? Have a problem pet who plucks his feathers, screams or bites? These behaviors are all part of the operant conditioning training process and can either be encouraged or extinguished. I offer one on one lessons in your home on a myriad of possibilities in training your pet parrot, chicken, duck, crow...you name it! This service is typically ongoing with weekly lessons starting at $70 per hour.

Related links-
Video footage featuring me training a blue and gold macaw:



No comments:

Post a Comment